Tuesday 25 August 2009

Are we less connected than ever before?

It has been on my mind for sometime that in this "always-on, digital world" we are supposedly better connected than ever before, however in reality is this really the case?

We can now interact with our family, friends and colleagues 24 hours a day via many devices and methods but does this mean our relationships are better for it?

Recent press has spoken of Facebook and how it doesn't encourage friendships in the traditional sense and that the focus for Gen Y is quantity of friends rather than quality. Is this because we now have so many digital touch-points? are we becoming the "over-communicated" generation?

I was thinking about the last time I actually popped in to see a friend for a coffee so we could have a face to face catch up, it has been some weeks now as I prefer to check-in using IM, text and Facebook, what did I do before these tools? Have my relationships changed since using these?

We are no longer judging people by their facial expressions, tone of voice or body language but
increasingly by the emoticon at the end of their post

No comments:

Post a Comment